Saturday, June 20, 2009

Mapping the LATHWELLs


View LATHWELL in a larger map

I've started tinkering with Google Maps customisation features, using the LATHWELL family as an example. The map above shows an assortment of randomly selected locations of Lathwell families, some of whom originated from Wing, and some who did not.

I don't have the time right now to do a comprehensive job on this particular map, but I like the overall concept. A long-term goal for the Wing One Place Study is to be able to map the immigration and emigration of each Wing family and this will be a great tool to complement that particular project.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice map, I wish I had the time to plot all my ancestors, but it would be such a time consuming job! I did have a look at Ancestral Atlas, but never really got to grips with it. Have you given it a try?

Alex Coles said...

Like you, I never really got to grips with Ancestral Atlas but should probably look at again when it's less new. As I understand it, you can't create maps that can then be grabbed for the website or blog. It's designed more for loading concrete facts/GEDCOMs whereas Google Maps allows a more freeform approach - which is what I will need.

Anonymous said...

I'm a Lathwell currently living in Maidenhead. My father grew up in Luton Bedfordshire where his father lived and his father before him. I believe my family tree ends back to Wing. It a difficult name to get any information on, so I'd love to know what you've found out.

Regards

Gary Lathwell

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing