Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Train my geneabrain!

In my continuing quest to bite off more than I can chew (at least, more than I have time for), I've just taken two steps towards training my geneabrain.

I've signed up for the One Place Study course at Pharos. Pharos is affiliated with the Society of Genealogists and offers online courses on a wide variety of general and UK-specific genealogical subjects. I'm hoping to pick up some fresh perspectives and, dare I say it, a more rigorous methodology to my madness? Secretly I'd love to do the assessed certificate but unfortunately I appear to be short the £450 I'd need. If you're interested in one place studies, why don't you join me on the course? It starts 31 August and is £33.

To keep me entertained over the next month until the course starts, I've purchased a copy of Evidence Explained by Elizabeth Shown Mills. This book has sections on the fundamentals of evidence analysis and the fundamentals of citation, followed by extensive discussions and examples of the different types and forms of historical records we are likely to encounter and how to correctly cite them in our genealogical software and writing. It's a relatively expensive reference book in physical form, but the first edition can be purchased online in PDF form at Footnote.com for a much more affordable USD25. I'm already casting an aghast eye at some of my webpages, so expect to see some tweaks being made to get them ship-shape.

6 comments:

Sheri Fenley said...

Good for you Alex! Let me know what you think about the classes offered by Pharo. I've been thinking about taking a class as well.

Brett Payne said...

That's great Alex. I look forward to hearing all about it too, although I've had enough of courses for the moment, so I'm not likely to take one.

Sandra said...

Hi Alex

After seeing your post, I had a look at the Pharos site, which I had not seen before and I too after thinking about it for a few days, decided to also do the One Place Study course. I'm also thinking of doing a couple of others that look interesting, later in the year/next year.



www.baker1865.wordpress.com

Alex Coles said...

That's awesome Sandra - I'll see you there, so to speak!

Sandra said...

Hi Alex

Just wondering if you have received any information about course. I have registered but as yet not received any notification or emails from the instructors. The only information I have recieved was the initial email after I registered and it said we would received something from the instructor 5-7 days before the course starts.

Thanks...

Alex Coles said...

Hi Sandra - no, I haven't heard anything yet either. I figured an email will probably show up over this weekend.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing