Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas everyone!

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas break! I'm now on holiday for three weeks so will have plenty of time to tidy up various projects (although I am going to try to minimize time spent on the computer, we'll see how long that lasts!)

Not sure how many other people out there were similarly invited, but I've had access to the 1911 census for the last few days as part of their testing process before their website goes live in 2009. This census is interesting as there is a separate page for each household, filled out and signed by the head of the household, and the married women were also required to state how long they'd been married, and how many living and dead children they have from that marriage. When I logged on to see what I could find they only had a few counties available (not Buckinghamshire which has since been added - although there is no way I'd be able to afford to collate all the Wing entries), but they did have the London/Middlesex area so I was able to find three households of interest. One was my most immediate Wing connection, William Pollard then aged 9, and most excitingly his stepfather lists his occupation as manager for a horse dealer - so that's a baby step towards verifying that he did indeed work with the Rothschilds' horses. Another surprise was finding a visitor with them, a professional boxer from Dublin!

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing